Saturday, September 16, 2017

HI-Ho Idaho

         As the youngest of four children, I am used to traveling to different cities to visit my grown siblings. However, as the time drew closer for me to go to college in a different state, the concept of leaving home for longer than a few days seemed so foreign. Coming to Rexburg, Idaho from a small town in Colorado doesn't seem as exciting as some of my fellow students traveling from all over the world, but it was exciting, nonetheless. As I came to campus and interacted with everyone, all the same questions were being asked; "What's your name?", "Where are you from?", "What's your major?", and "What semester in school are you?". So to start off, I thought I would share my answers to these questions and more. My name is Toni Jo Despain. I am from Loveland, Colorado, which is right outside of Fort Collins. My major is Marriage and Family Studies with a Professional Clinical emphasis to become a marriage and family counselor. This is my first semester at BYU-Idaho and I am so excited to take the first steps into starting my career. I wanted to be a marriage and family counselor because I love marriage and believe that it should be something to take seriously. I also come from a broken home and hope to help others to have their homes and lives healed.
         One of the classes I am taking this semester is Family Relations, which is basically the starting block to my career. We discuss controversial topics regarding family and marriages, today. In the first lesson, I learned that not all psychological briefs provide accurate information, so it is very important to do your research. Especially if the information is flawed with "convenient" results, no comparison groups, or involves bias information.
        I am so excited to go back to class next week and learn more about the family and marriage. I can't wait to discuss more controversial topics and learn new solutions to the problems spouses and families endure today.

Until next time,

Toni Jo
       

1 comment: